As we enter the second half term of the academic year, the school council have been elected and met for the first time. During this first meeting the children discussed the expectations of a school councillor as well as assigning themselves roles.
Some slight changes to the structure this year mean we welcome fourteen members to the committee including two children representing the infants in Key Stage 1. To aid the effectiveness of the overall council, we have also doubled the representatives from Year 5 and 6, as their experience of school life is greatly valued.
First on the agenda for this academic year was the expectations and vision for this elected group of councillors. After much discussion the children settled on the below vision statement.
Our vision is, for all children at Penpol School to be able to have a voice and contribute towards the continuous improvement of our school community.
The aim of the school council is to involve ALL students in helping to create and implement school policies and procedures that will benefit everyone in the school community. This will address the following areas:
- To make changes in our school and school community.
- To give pupils the opportunity to let adults know their feelings and opinions about things that affect them.
- Pupils should also be able to have a say in decisions and to play an active role in making their school a better place for all.
- Serve as the voice for the pupils of Penpol within the school and within the community.
We as a school council will do this by:
- Talking to our classmates to gain ideas and suggestions.
- Making sure that everyone’s views and opinions are valued.
- Having regular meetings to share our ideas.
As part of the School Council all members have been elected into particular roles. This level of responsibility has been trusted to the council members after they were voted in by their peers, as people who are trustworthy, approachable, fair and honest to name but a few of the attributes required.
The following positions have been filled.
- Chairperson- Will (Class 14)
- Vice-Chair- Ines (Class 14)
- Secretary- Juliette (Class 13)
- Vice-Secretary- Miranda (Class 12)
- Treasurer- Jude (Class 13)
- Alerting team- Grace (Class 10), Rocky (Class 9), Thomas (Class 8) & Tess (Class 7)
- Voting members (All KS2)
- Committee members (All)
- News Officers- Lily and Ethan (Both Class 11)
- Teacher Support (Non-voting members) Mr Stanlake & Miss Simpson